Saturday, March 30

Keep your Dogs away from your Easter Eggs

Everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, don't they? 

Well one owner in South Wales was reminded of the problem when their dog consumed the children's Easter Eggs, fortunately the dog was rushed to the vet's and is now recovering.

So what caused it?  Chocolate contains a chemical, theobromine, that is toxic to dogs. Dogs are not able to metabolize this chemical quickly enough within their livers, and this can be a problem if they ingest an overwhelming amount of chocolate.

Also, different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine in them. The higher the cacao content, the more theobromine the chocolate contains and the more toxic it is to dogs.

Theobromine is related to caffeine, and the symptoms of chocolate intoxication can resemble excess caffeine intake. Dogs can become agitated to the point of uncontrolled trembling. They can appear hypersensitive to noise and hyper-reactive to external stimuli. With higher levels of intake, seizures may occur. In severe cases, death can result. 
Because the toxicity of theobromine is dependent on a dog’s weight, a smaller dog ingesting the same amount as a bigger dog has a greater chance of toxicity.

But the good news is that treatment can succeed if symptoms are caught early, but to avoid any problems keep dogs and chocolate away from each other.

Remember, the chocolate products specifically produced for dogs does not pose this risk but still remember, moderation in all things!

Sunday, March 24

That's what you call dedication

The yard outside Reception on Friday 
We have suffered some bad weather here at the Rescue the last few days with a lot of snow falling since Friday.

Not only has it been snowing but that snow has been drifting in the strong arctic winds

This has meant that some of our staff that live some distance from the Rescue could not make it in to work, those living closer were picked up by 4x4 vehicles. so those that could make it in had their hands full.

Road Conditions getting to the Rescue on Saturday

Despite this terrible arctic weather and drifting snow making the roads almost impassable some of the staff have made it in and so have some of our hardy regular volunteers, both the dogs and staff were very pleased to see them and when you look at the conditions out there then - that's what you call dedication

Friday, March 22

Change of Plans for 23rd March

Owing to the unexpected snowfall today the trailer will not be going to Jollyes tomorrow (Saturday 23rd March) BUT we will still be there, nice and warm INSIDE the store so please come and get your pets microchipped.

On the plus side you won't have to stand out in the cold while we do the microchipping.

Tuesday, March 19

Microchipping in Flint 23rd March 2013

 We will be holding a micro-chipping event at Jollyes in Flint between 10am and 3pm on Saturday 23rd March, 2013 you can support the charity and ensure your pets get returned to you should you ever loose them at the same time. Our trailer will be parked outside the store, you can't miss us.

We will be doing the micro-chipping for only £10 per pet

And if you are wondering how a micro-chip works, well it's a sophisticated electronic device which has been pre-programmed with a unique number, it is implanted in to your pet via a small injection, very similar to that of a vaccination. 
Your pet's unique MicroChip identification number is registered on the UK Database alongside your contact details. 
As your pet's MicroChip contains no battery it is read using a special scanner, which powers the MicroChip allowing it to send a signal back to the scanner. This is then displayed as a number on the screen of the scanner.

And how big is it? Well slightly bigger than a grain of rice, we can show you one when you visit to get your pet chipped.

Look out for our trailer

With  microchipping becoming compulsory why not get it done now and ensure your pets get returned to you should they get lost or stolen. So why not visit us and get your pets micro-chipped

MicroChipping your pet is a simple procedure that will stay with your pet for life! 

For directions - click here